What Private Data Do We Collect?
Melwood is a 501(c)(3) non-governmental organization whose charitable mission is to advocate for and empower individuals of differing abilities to transform their own lives through unique opportunities to work and play in the community. In order to carry out our mission, and with your express consent, we collect the following data from individuals and organizations:
- Personal information about clients benefiting from Melwood’s programs;
- Organizational data from institutions with which Melwood works;
- Information to track our loans and investments, such as financial reporting and annual financial statements;
- Information from individuals interested in becoming potential Melwood volunteers;
- Personal data from our donors;
- Personal information to access certain features on our website that allow you to send and receive information to and from us and to donate to us (we collect credit card information only for the purpose of processing your donation); and
- Information for internal tracking of personnel and financial operations. Data can be collected either online or offline.
Data can be collected either online or offline.
Why Do We Collect Private Data?
We collect and otherwise use private data from our clients and donors for specific purposes that are limited to furthering our charitable mission. Melwood does not collect or otherwise use private data without legal authorization, contractual obligation and/or our clients’ express written consent.
The information we collect helps us to: (1) design and improve products and services that meet our clients’ needs; (2) monitor the effectiveness of our programs and performance so that we, our donors, federal, state and local governments, and our other third-party partners and clients know who we are reaching with our products and services and where we need to improve our performance; (3) evaluate individual skill sets and match them to corresponding needs in the field; (5) monitor our investments; (6) conduct research in the aggregate in order to understand our national and regional outreach; and (7) track personnel and financial operations for internal purposes.
With Whom Do We Share Private Data?
With your express written consent, we may share your private data with organizations that are related to us, with our service providers, and with our third-party partners. We may also share aggregated and anonymous data with our third-party partners and with the general public on a publicly-accessible website. Occasionally, we may be required by legal request, subpoena, government reporting obligation, or other legal process or obligation to disclose our clients’ private data. Similarly, as permitted by law, we may disclose the information we collect to fight fraud or to protect the rights or property of Melwood, our clients, our donors or others, or when we otherwise believe in good faith that the law requires it. Melwood will follow all data protection protocols required by applicable local laws. Donor data is never sold, and is never shared except as required by law as outlined above.
Melwood is committed to protecting your private data against unlawful destruction, accidental loss or alteration, or unauthorized disclosure or access. First, we only collect and otherwise use private data that is relevant to, proportional to and in furtherance of the charitable purposes for which it is obtained. Second, we do not store your personal or sensitive information any longer than is necessary to satisfy those purposes. Third, when we store or otherwise use your personal or sensitive information, we use reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards that are designed to protect and secure private data adequately. For example:
- When you donate to Melwood via our website, your donation information is encrypted and transmitted by way of a secure connection (Note: No security systems are perfect, and we cannot guarantee the security of such information)
- We ensure that the entities with whom we share our clients’ private data have agreed to provide sufficient guarantees, in compliance with local law, to secure and protect that data
Your Privacy Rights
You have a right to access and control your private data that we have collected and stored. Accordingly, you may ask at reasonable intervals for a copy of any personal or sensitive information about you that we have collected and stored. We will provide you with a copy with reasonable promptness and at no expense. You may also ask that we correct, update or delete any of your private data.
5606 Dower House Road
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
E-mail: [email protected]